Horses require several levels of nutrition and horse feed in their diet to maintain their health. The types of feed they need depend on their weight, level of activity, current health, and age. Combining the right supplements, hay, grains, proteins, and water is a delicate balance that can determine whether your horse is able to properly digest his food and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
A Word on Horse Feed and Supplements
A healthy horse’s diet consists of the following fuel sources - A traditional diet of grass, grains, and oats, or a mixture which will provide a deeper level of benefits to your horse. The performance level of your horse is the determining factor for levels of nutrition. Obviously, a horse can never be too healthy, but in situations that demand high levels of concentration and prolonged activity and performance, it is essential the horse is receiving the proper horse feed and horse feed supplements.
- Horse Feeds: A horse’s diet consists of many different layers, consisting of items like hay, grass, grains, sugars, proteins, and starches. Feed can be obtained from natural sources, or may be found in the form of pellets, which can easily be adapted to your horse’s unique diet and are a great way to provide your equine friend with the nutritional diet he needs.
- Horse Feed Supplements: While you want your horse to obtain as much nutrition as possible from his horse feed, this does not always happen. If your horse is lacking much needed vitamins and minerals, he may need the assistance of horse supplements, which can contain the following:
1) Antioxidants: Permits your horse to perform better, boosts the immune system, and reduces strain during exercise.
2) Electrolytes: Key minerals needed for the vital functioning of a horse’s body. When your horse exercises, he loses electrolytes through sweat. Feed supplements replenish essential electrolytes so your horse can keep exercising.
3) Probiotics: Promotes a healthy metabolism, increases wellbeing, aids in digestion, and lowers the amount of stress your horse feels.
4) Essential Minerals: Horses need the right minerals to stay healthy. For instance, zinc and manganese are used for stress reduction and increase stamina, while biotin and methionine are used to keep hooves healthy.
5) Vitamin E: While Vitamin E is a small compound, it can do big things, like help your horse maintain his weight and increase his energy.
In order to maximize the quality of life of your horse, be sure you are using the right feed and horse feed supplements. Equiform Nutrition is a proven and established leader in the equine industry with over 100 years of experience. Providing only the finest quality from the purest ingredients, we pride ourselves on being second to none when it comes to horse health. We work closely with trainers, breeders, and experts in the industry, to make sure our standards are the benchmark in the equestrian world.